Essential oils are natural aromatic extracts which are distilled from plants for their great health benefits. They’ve been used since ancient Egypt to improve wellbeing. Essential oils are 50 to 70 times more potent than herbs, so much that often only 1-3 drops are needed to get results.
Essential oils are often used to ease stress, boost mood, relieve pain from headaches and migraines, get a better night's sleep, quell nausea, and even repel insects.
These essential oils contain hundreds of different compounds, providing complex and versatile abilities to combat threats without building up resistance. They work with the body to address issues and root causes on a cellular level.
How to apply essential oils
There are three ways to use essential oils:
Through smell. We call this “aromatic” use of essential oils. This includes any application method that helps you experience the aroma of the oil. You can use essential oils aromatically by
- Breathe in the scent from the bottle
- Put 1 – 2 drops on the palms, rub together, cup them over your nose, and breathe in
- Diffuse with a diffuser (5-6 drops)
- Aroma jewellery
On your skin. “Topical” application of essential oils allows the oil to absorb into the skin. Some ways to use essential oils on your skin are:
- Rub directly into target areas. Dilute for children or sensitive skin with carrier oil such as Fractionated Coconut oil
- Add to lotions or moisturizers
Popular application points
- Bottoms of your feet – have the largest pores, oil reaches the blood stream quicker
- Pulse points
- Back of your neck
- Down the spine
Less is more, using essential oils more frequently with a carrier oil will prolong the benefits of the essential oils. The carrier oil slows down the evaporation of the oil, allowing it to moisturize the skin.
Diluting the oil
Diluted in carrier oil (such as Fractionated Coconut), essential oils are safe for sensitive skin and even delicate baby skin. You can dilute the oils yourself or use dōTERRA’s Touch line roll-ons, which are already diluted so you don’t need to think about how many drops to use. They are individually diluted according for what is best for that specific oil. Perfect formulas for the young family.
Ingesting, or “internal” use of essential oils allows the oil to be transported throughout your body. Make sure the essential oil is safe for internal use first, and then try one of these methods
- Drop into a glass of water and drink (drip oil in first, try warm water)
- Drop under your tongue
- On your finger and roof of your mouth
- Fill capsules/veggie caps to make your own pills
*Adults only and only use CPTG (certified therapeutic grade oils) oils internally. Not all essential oils are intend for internal use. Always check the label for directions.
Essential Oil Safety
Here are a few things you'll want to keep in mind when you are learning how to use essential oils:
Essential Oil Safety Guidelines
- Avoid applying oils to sensitive areas like the nose, ears, eyes, or broken skin. Avoid using “hot oils” on the face.*
- Always read labels and package instructions before using an essential oil for the first time.
- Use dilution to minimize skin sensitivity.
- Be aware of oils with sun sensitivity warnings.
- Practice safe storage—keep oils out of reach of children.
- Always supervise young children when applying essential oils.
- If you have specific health concerns, talk to a healthcare professional before trying essential oils.
*Hot oils or strong oils include Cassia oil, Cinnamon Bark oil, Clove oil, Oregano oil, Thyme oil, and others.
To get the full benefits of essential oils, you need to use 100% pure, safe essential oils of the highest quality. That’s why we offer dōTERRA essential oils. The purity of their essential oils means that often only 1-3 drops are needed to get results which makes dōTERRA oils very affordable.
Keep in mind that everyone’s body is different and in the same way that we have different experiences with medications and pills, essential oils will affect individuals differently. There are multiple oils to help with same issues so get ready to try them out and find the best one for you.
If you have a serious health condition or are taking medication, you should always discuss their use with your healthcare practitioner.
Bellelis brings to you a selection of these beautiful essential oils
* Lemon * Peppermint * Lavender * Clary Calm - Monthly Blend for Women * On Guard - Protective blend * DigestZen - Digestive blend * Easy Air – Clear blend * Introduction kit of Lavender – Lemon - Peppermint
If you are interested in the broader range of essential oils, would like to learn more about them, or if you have any questions, please visit my website at AromaNita.com.au
With love from my home to yours